Shabby Fairy Tale

Dear Friends

I wanted to share a story with you, I started my blog out of grief and life changes but before that I fell in love with "Shabby"!  I bought a book from an antique store and read and fell in love with Rachel, Shabby Chic!  I read her story about her and her mum! Her mum repaired dolls and her customers would come for miles to have their shabby doll parts repaired.  I also loved that Rachel shared her memories of antiquing with her parents.  I did not know at the time what the word "Shabby" meant but when I looked up the meaning I feel in love again, you know why?   I love making things beautiful again and I love pink, and I knew one day I would like to meet "Shabby Chic".


Visiting my sister in New Jersey several years ago, I had the opportunity to visit Rachel's store in New York. I parked in what seemed like an alley and went in, I asked if Rachel was available and was told she was traveling, walked around touched all the Shabby beauty and said thank for letting me dream!  The store clerks took my pic with her store name in the rain, I was elated to visit "Shabby Chic". So here's the reason for the post, an "ugly" shabby new to me sofa and chair, fell in love the minute I saw the gorgeous lines and wood work, beautifully recovered with washable slip covers. Replacing my much loved IKEA sofa and chair, which I loved and highly reccommend! A beautiful before and after!  I hope you have enjoyed my Debby Goes Shabby fairy tale. Stay tune next week I'll will share my "Shabby Fall Tour"!







12 comments

  1. These are absolutely wonderful pieces! I first learned about "Shabby Chic" on, of all places, Ebay! I had learned a decorative painting technique and was looking for other peoples' efforts to see if mine might be worth trying to sell, and I kept seeing the word "Shabby" in the item titles. And I thought it was like an insult, to call something "shabby"! So I researched it a little, and turned out that there was this style called "Shabby Chic" and THAT was why people were so blithely using the word "shabby" to describe their sweet items! LOL I do love the look, and your pieces capture it perfectly! Oh that gorgeous detail!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb your shabby sofa and chair look incredible!! Almost a miracle transformation ld say, l also love the carved details and they're unusual aren't they.... loved your story about visiting her store also, it's a dream of mine to visit one of her stores one day 😘😘

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing transformation. Those decorative elements really make it pop. Love your soft colors. Thank you for sharing at DI&DI.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debby, I had to send another comment as I am so good with names and their spelling. I apologize I spelled your name wrong. Please forgive me. Your style here is so happy and makes me smile. HUGS Your blog is making me smile a lot today! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the make over and your story about Rachel
    I never have got to go to one of her stores and now I hear most are closed? do you know

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delightful post and tale of discovery. Thanks for sharing - and your sofa/chair rejuvenation is really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely story and beautiful transformation on these pieces. Thank you for sharing with us at Celebrate Your Story, and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too fell in love with Rachel Ashwell's style Shabby Chic but have never been able to transform my home completely. The transformation of the new to you sofa and chair are remarkable. Since I discovered slipcovers I don't buy upholstered furniture anymore .

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful transformation! Love it! Thanks for sharing at The Blogger's Pit Stop! Roseann from www.thisautoimmunelife.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very beautiful Debby! I love shabby chic as well. I would love to visit her store sometime. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just lovely, Debbie! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely story...and lovely pieces of furniture...I love that white sofa xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello dear friends, thank you for taking the time to visit Debby Goes Shabby. I hope you enjoy your visit.